Hello and welcome to the first video podcast of 2012. I’m your host Colin Receveur and in today’s episode we’re going to discuss how successful dentists are leveraging video in their marketing.I’m going to be pulling back the curtains to give you the secrets of what we’re doing with our best clients. And as a free gift to those with a high-level of interest, everyone who stays till the end of the podcast is going to get a free copy of my latest book.
New format for weekly blog updates, 2012 will be video blogs, vlogs, podcasts, video podcasts, vodcasts… I call it talking into the camera on my drive into the video studio today. We’ve actually got a shoot at the studio today so this is going to be pretty short and sweet because I don’t have a lot of time to talk.
I’m heading to San Diego Friday for a week.. Pretty excited.. weather is much nicer than this 20* crap. A little wine tasting, going to have to drop into the zoo, I haven’t been since I was a kid, and we’re shooting some video as well for some clients.
Why to listen to me
If you haven’t listened in before, I’m Colin Receveur, speaker, author, invited columnist profitable dentist, dental town, etc. and head chief at SmartBox Web Marketing where we, simply put, get dentists more qualified patients in the niches they have advanced clinical training
The purpose of these podcasts is to educate you about dental marketing so you can make an informed decision about what’s best for you and your practice in this new dental economy.
So here’s what we’re going to cover – 5 important topics dentists want to know about video:
- #1 Why video just works (when done right)
- #2 Why video is so powerful
- #3 What to put in your videos
- #4 How to optimize your videos (SEO)
- #5 Where and how to leverage your videos
Now onto the good stuff… starting with the first topic…
#1 Why does video work?
We hear from docs often that “they tried video” or “they did a website” and they got nothing –
Well first off, as with any marketing there’s more ways to do it wrong than right. You can’t just throw up a video shot in your operatory with your Christmas camera and expect people to want to watch it and call you. Same as websites.
Lighting, shaky camera, poor quality, too clinical, lots of reasons and ways to do it wrong.
Two things that successful video marketing campaigns do:
- 1. Quality & compelling content to inform and educate
- 2. Syndication and optimization to be seen and get found
You have to design your videos based on what your patients want to know.
What answers do they want? What are they searching for? Ask your non-dental friends, and survey your patients. Patient/client surveys are EXTREMELY powerful and give you the exact information you’re looking for. Many docs put off my intimidation or the “unknown” factor don’t do these surveys.
#2 Why is video a powerful tool?
- Past 30 days, 82.5% of US has watched a video online
- YouTube is #2 largest SE, #1 is Google
- 60% of searchers would rather watch a video than read information
Video establishes trust, puts your face to a name.
It allows you to reach out to your prospects and literally speak directly to them. Only 14% of the US trusts advertisements right now. You need to be doing everything you can to gain your prospects attention AND trust.
Video brings warmth to a text based boring website… and we all know people do business with people they like.
#3 What to put in your videos
Call to action! – Same mistakes many website owners make, they have no CTA on their sites. You must have a CTA on your videos. Offer a free book like we are, free coupon code at the end, something to incentive users to stay.
Answer questions first, then become their expert.
We see many docs with videos and websites that talk all about them, how great they are, their qualifications, their CE, their education, and they offer a menu of their services – but they never address the questions the patients have! You’ve got to talk to your patients needs. All your background has an important place to build your rapport, but FIRST you have to grab their attention and help them with THEIR problem. Then, if you do that, they will want to find out more about you.
Uneducated patients and uninformed patients don’t buy.
By elevating their awareness and arming them with lots of info, they become a better consumer of dentistry and the dental services you offer. People are looking for choices – options and what’s possible.
And they aren’t going to call you after the first time they find your website, especially not the big cases. 4-18 months to convert the large cases, you need to be feeding them lots of information.
Don’t information dump on them, drip drip drip small pieces they can digest. Info dumps are a waste of everyone’s time, answer their relevant concerns, send them information as they request and can digest it, and you’ll be their hero.
1 thought 1 video. Short and sweet, answer their question. The videos we have success with are 30-90 seconds covering a range of topics, because patients have lots of questions. Look at your FAQ’s, or keep track of what your patients are asking during consults. Why are you different? What should they choose you? That’s what you want videos on.
#4 How to optimize videos
Well optimized videos are 50x more likely to get a first page ranking on google than a webpage and videos now show above organic listings at the top of first page.
- Title – compelling and relevant. your visitor should know what they are clicking on and be intrigued to learn more
- Description – stay under around 200-250 words, summarize your content if video is too long
- Tags – keep the number of tags short, don’t use 20+ tags on your videos. Preferably 5-10 very relevant
- Category – mostly missed on youtube, use a category to further optimize
- Syndicate your video – build backlinks into your website, distribute your videos to dozens of video wbesites like Vimeo, metacafe, YouTube, and dozens more. SEO value to your videos and website.
#5 How to use good video – 4 ways
On your website, replace your FAQ page, answer questions with video.
On YouTube – Google now showing optimized YouTube videos above the organic rankings right at the top
Mobile video – huge growing marketing right now, I hope you’re taking advantage and have a mobile website too
Social media – Facebook, Twitter.. many more uses than just YouTube. Video needs to be everywhere
The 5 Take aways from this episode
1. Why video just works – how video builds trust in an age of distrust amongst advertising
2. Why video is so powerful – the stats behind this shift in how information is being delivered online, and why time is of the essence for you to take advantage of it
3. What to put in your videos – what you need to talk about to get your patients listening
4. How to optimize your videos (SEO) – how to get your videos found at the top of Google
5. Where and how to leverage your videos – using your videos to their maximum potential to get seen
Get a copy of my book shipped to you
As promised there’s a link that should show up at the bottom of this video.. and there you can request a free copy of my latest book. http://Link.SmartBoxWeb.com/jan12
This 72 page book is chocked full of everything you need to know to dominate your local area and get the lions share of new patients, and it’s free to everyone that listened in today. Simply go to the URL below and you can we’ll ship a hard printed copy to you.
As always, the fast-movers and early adopters will take the lions share of new patients. The fundamental shift in how information is delivered that we experiences 5-10 years ago with websites is happening again now with video, and those sitting on the fence playing it safe are going to be watching their competition reap the profits.
I hope your 2012 is everything you want it to be, take care and I’ll see you in 2 weeks when I get back from San Diego with the next episode.
- Dr. Argeros
- Dr. David Maloley
- Dr. Ron Steenkist, Dentist in Amsterdam
- Dr. Hanson
- Dr. Randy Schmidt
- Dr. CJ Landry
- Dr. Ivan Terrero, Bonita Springs, Florida
- Dr. Kiehl
- Dr. Matthew Burton
- Dr. David Maloley
- Dr. Woody Oakes
- Pat Worcester, Mission Possible…Best Hygiene
- Dr. Michael Abernathy
- Dr. Randy Schmidt
- Dr. Mitchel Friedman
- Dr. Avi Weisfogel
- Dr. Sean Hanson
- Max Gotcher, Summit Practice Solutions
- Dr. Michael “Yar” Zuk
- Dr. Anderson
- Dr. Feder
- Dr. Jonathan Gilbart
- Dr. Mitchel Friedman
- Dr. David Bistritz
- Dr. John K. Argeros
- Dr. Kiehl
- Dr. Walter Hadley
- Dr. Kevin McMahon
- Dr. Mitchel Friedman, Newman Springs Dental Care
- Dr. Ron Receveur
- Dr. Fox
- Dr. Arthur Laos
- Dr. Porter
- Dr. Katie Post
- Michael Abernathy DDS, Summit Practice Solutions
- Dr. Fuesting
- Dr. Takacs
- Dr. Ron Receveur, New Albany, IN
- Dr. Leath
- Corey Hurcomb
- Dr. Stiver